I Love Chateaux: Palace of Fontainebleau

How are you enjoying the mid week?  I'd like to be a bit random today so I'll rekindle my attachment with castles.  During a road trip to visit numerous castles driving from the city of lights towards Loire Valley, we did a stopover in Fontainebleau, 55 kilometers from Paris.  This tranquil town lies at the heart of a vast forest.


Palace of Fontainebleau is a UNESCO World Heritage site, one of the largest French royal castle with 1,500 rooms, 130 acres of gardens and parkland.


A stroll around the park is definitely a must.  It's not crowded with tourists unlike Versailles, ideal for a peaceful hike, horseback riding and even an outdoor picnic. It ignites the romantic side within us all.


Timings:
The chateau is open from 9:30AM to 5:00 PM from October to March. It's extended till 6:00 PM from April to September. Any day except Tuesdays and major holidays - Dec 25, Jan 1 and May 1. 

Gardens are open everyday  from 9AM to 5:00PM during November to February.  They extend until 6:00PM during March, April and October and are open till 7:00 PM during the summer months of May to September.

There is so much to see within the Chateau grounds and is impossible to view in a day.  You can get into the monument for free if you have a Paris Museum Pass.


Guess what, it was also the site where Lana del Rey's Born to Die MTV was filmed.


Curious to check out how the town of Fontainebleau is like during the day?  Brasseries and cafes alive with the carousel at the town square, charming! I'll let the photos speak for themselves.


Do you think you would enjoy strolling and enjoying the weekend here?
XOXO,
Arni


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. *Swoon.*

    I would adore a stroll through all of those beautiful backdrops.

    I hope you had a Merry Xmas, Arni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to stroll around there! That's one place I haven't seen. Thanks for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Can't imagine living in a castle with 1500 rooms..

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are planning a road trip around this area of France for April/May this year so I will be adding this to my list of things to do! It looks so stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would enjoy strolling there very very much! WOW! So lovely! It touches my closet romantic in a BIG way! :-)
    Yesterday I picked up a shift at my old job at the yoga studio here in Indy. I also did some work for my blog. Hands down I say you had the better day!

    Chao
    Poppie
    http://thepoppie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place is gorgeous ! Next time I go to France I so want to go here : )

    xo,
    Cindi
    Breakfast at Cindi’s

    ReplyDelete