Yas Waterworld

Who loves water parks? (I'm raising my hand right now) This place will unleash the inner child within us all.  Yas Waterworld recently opened to the public last 20th of January 2013 in Yas Island, Abu Dhabi. It's a 15 hectare water theme park with 43 rides, slides and attractions. 

Yas Waterworld  {Photo Credit: Maxime}
According to Gulf News, "This Dhs 900 million investment by Aldar Properties and operated by Farah Investment (same operators of Ferrari World) offers the world's fastest and longest water slides."

With all of that information, I drove my brother in law and his family to Abu Dhabi for a day at this water leisure park. I was curious myself and would like to see it for real.   

Yas Waterworld Entrance
Food is not allowed inside so we (3 adults and 2 kids) stopped by the nearby IKEA to grab some heavy brunch before going to the park,  being aware of the usually expensive food prices inside theme parks. 

Since it's relatively new there were no Yas Waterworld signage panels from E11 Highway yet, nor within Yas Island indicating where it is, so we asked for directions once we reached IKEA and a good gentleman working there helped us out.

How to get to Yas Waterworld?

From Dubai, take E11 Highway (Sheikh Zayed Road) Abu Dhabi bound.  Follow the signs to Yas Island. (Honestly,this is a bit confusing when driving to Yas Island for the first time). Continue driving straight until you see Yas Island West exit. Take this exit and turn left at the first traffic signal.  Drive straight again and turn left at the second traffic signal towards the water park.

Better yet, once you see Ferrari World, it's just behind it.

Public Transportation:   
  • From Dubai the 190 Bus Route  goes to Yas Island at Al Ghubaiba Station.  
  • From Abu Dhabi, the 190 Bus Route goes to Yas Island  Check out RTA for the timetable
  • Taxi Cabs from Abu Dhabi  (I do not however suggest Taxi Cabs from Dubai because that would be an incredibly expensive fare)
  • There's  Yas Shuttle Service operating daily from 9AM to 9 PM that goes around the island. 



Yas Waterworld Opening Hours
Open Daily
  • November to February    10am - 6pm
  • March to May            10am - 7pm
  • June to August          10am - 8pm
  • September and October  10am - 7pm
Entrance Ticket:
  • General Admission: Guests 1.1 meters above     AED 225 per person
  • Juniors Admission- Kids 1.1 meters below       AED 185 per person
  • Premium General Admission above 1. 1meters    AED 325 per person
  • Premium Junior Admission below 1.1 meters     AED 265 per person
**We had Entertainer Vouchers  for a buy one get one entrance ticket.

What's the difference between General and Premium?
The premium has "fast pass" for rides and slides. They get priority for the attractions. (It reminds me of business/first class priority in check in queues). 

Tip:  Go there on a weekday to avoid the long queues and take advantage of unlimited queue-less rides for as much as you want!


The most interesting ride that first caught my attention was the Bandit Bomber.  It's a 550 meter long roller coaster ride where you get to spray water to other guests below (and make them wet! Yeah!)  while you're up in the air. 

Bandit Bomber
That's me and my sister-in-law  at the Bandit Bomber ride
I spent most of the afternoon hanging out with the kids-my niece and nephew at the children's water slides to allow our family guest couple to have some time for themselves (I can always come back).  I had a great time playing with the kids at the water slides. Because of this, I had the french word "toboggan" in my head all day.

{Photo Credit: Maxime}
Some of the Interesting Rides and Attractions are:

Dawwama - 6 people in one craft in a 20 meter high funnel creating the most exhilarating tornado ride.
Liwa Loop - Crazy! High intensity 90 degree drop inside a clear tube that leads you straight back up and then falling again. Just watching it gives me the hair raising thrill already. One of a kind! (I admit, I'm chicken to try this one.)
Hamlools Humps and Jebel Drop -  Definitely not for the acrophobic!  Incredibly high and fast single person water slide.
Bubble Barrel - World's Largest surf-able sheet wave with a 3 meter high wave for the surfing lovers out there!
Rush Rider - Flow boarding for surfing beginners.
Pearl Dive -  A clear dive tank/ aquarium where you can literally dive for real oysters and pearls and you can create a necklace from your finds.

Rush Rider {Photo Credit: Maxime}
Yas Waterworld at Sun down
Before closing time
Safety first!
Hello from the Al Raha Lazy River

There are plenty of spaces to chill out and lounge.  I had such a great time I forgot to take photos until it was time to leave. 

Guess What?
My brother in law accidentally dropped his waterproof camera here in this river. Only to realize it was missing on the way to the car. Thank goodness for the helpful security and honest staff, we got it back! Great relief! We were happily surprised to find interesting funny photos in the camera taken by the staff for fun. 

Have a great weekend everyone!
XOXO,
Arni

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Wow, how cool. I'm such a chicken when it comes to roller coasters and rides! I never really enjoy water parks (or anytheme parks that much!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I admit I'm chicken too but when my sister in law invited me, I don't know why I said yes. :)

      Delete
  2. Can you believe that I haven't been to a water theme park? And I love the water. I'm not sure why I haven't gone. Perhaps it's because we just haven't had a reason to go, P isn't into them but I'm sure if a group of us went, it would be great. Now to round up a group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I would love to hear and read about it when you do. I'm sure you'd have a great time :)

      Delete
  3. that's a great park! but id prefer foods to be allowed, coz youll never know youll get hungry after a ride. and good thing you got the camera back ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Phioxee..it's always better munching something when the fingers are wrinkled from being in the water too long. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks amazing! I used to love water parks! They definitely bring out your inner child:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just love the way the kids' faces light up at the sight of the slides and water. I start feeling like a kid again being with them in there. :)

      Delete
  5. OK, I am beyond jealous that you guys walk around in bikinis while we sit inside and freezing ;-)

    I have to admit I hardly go to theme parks myself, because over here they tend to be overpriced and I do not have children who drag me there. But: I love being a child once in a while. And I have just drawn one of my 'journey' cards and it said I should 'play' more ;-)
    Maybe I should try out something like this, as soon as the sun comes out to play!
    Ehem, so you LIVE near Abu Dhabi? For me this region is always associated with holiday ;-)

    Love,
    Svenja
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Svenja! Yes,we live not far from Abu Dhabi. From Dubai it's roughly around 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive to Abu Dhabi. Yas Island is even closer to Dubai. Right now,it is currently our fun outdoor season because it gets too hot (like sauna) from April/May to September the water starts boiling hot during the summer months of June, July and August.:)

      Delete
  6. Excellent Job! Thanks for creating a sensible topic that suits the taste of your readers. Keep up the good Work.

    property shop

    ReplyDelete